The Gr. 9 & 10 Math curriculum, as outlined in the Ministry of Education Math Gr. 9 & 10 document, builds on the skills and principles students have learned in elementary programs. Students learn math most effectively when they have a thorough understanding of concepts and processes, and when they can build on that understanding using an investigative approach. The Gr. 9 & 10 math curriculum enables students to apply their knowledge and skills to further their mathematics learning.
The seven mathematical processes used in secondary math education are problem solving, reasoning and proving, reflecting, selecting tools and computational strategies, connecting, representing and communicating. These processes apply to student learning in all areas of the math courses.
In Grades 11 & 12 students will further build on the math facts & processes they have learned in Gr. 9 & 10 to better understand how these concepts can be applied in the workplace. To meet the demands of the business world in which we live, students will need to adapt the changing conditions and to learn independently. They will require the ability to use technology effectively and must hone their skills in processing large amounts of quantitative information.
The Math Program at MD focuses on:
- Providing real world learning experiences for our students to enhance their math skills
- Providing students with the math and numeracy skills they will require for their post-secondary pathway
- Providing extra help to students to ensure understanding of math and numeracy concepts
- Providing innovative strategies to encourage student learning
There are many different opportunities for students to get Math help at school.
- Subject teacher - students may speak with their subject teacher to arrange a convenient time for both to discuss class & homework concerns
- Student Success Room 103 is open for extra help during all periods of the day
- Mathify (formerly Homework Help) is an evening online service from an Ontario Math Teacher for Grade 9 & 10 students
- Math Clinic - support to students during any period of the day, supported by any math teacher